Gabrielle Brown is the Founder of Gabrielle Brown The Label - an Australian Designer Fashion Label, based in Melbourne. Gabrielle previously won the Inaugural Graduate Designer Award where she was invited to design a collaborative womenswear capsule collection for Target.
Where did you get the idea to start your business?
The idea to start my label evolved after studying a Bachelor of Design (Fashion) Degree and graduating with First Class Honours at RMIT University. It was a natural progression. Following the debut of my graduate collection as part of the VAMFF, Virgin Australia Fashion Festival in 2014, I was fortunate enough to win the Inaugural Graduate Designer Award where I designed a collaborative womenswear capsule collection for Target. It sold out nationally. This gave me the drive to pursue my dreams.
How did you get your business started?
It began as a side project after graduating. It was always something I wanted to do. After working in the design industry with Target, I have learnt many invaluable skills that have assisted with starting up the business. Throughout the whole process I have worked full-time and in my spare moments I was busily designing. I eventually launched Gabrielle Brown, The Label. The vision behind the label is to merge luxury design in womenswear with new techniques to explore three dimensionality and textural surfaces. My designs have a sophisticated tone and reflect a sense of timeless elegance. The pieces are clean with a modern aestheticism. The minimalist colour palette allows all focus to be on detail.
What lessons have you learned so far on your business journey?
1. Networking is a must. Without it my label wouldn’t exist. I am constantly collaborating with new creatives. It has led to some very exciting projects.
2. It is important to seek out mentors that can take you under their wing. When you start out there are many elements you may not know or have great experience in.
3. Approaching people, who have knowledge in these particular areas, will steer your business in the right direction.
Gabrielle Brown The Label-Textural Bustier and Flare Pants.
What has been your stand out moment since launching your brand?
One of the most stand out moments was having one of my designs at the Flemington Spring Races, photographed and featured on Vogue Australia.
What are your top three tips for starting a business?
1. Develop a business plan
2. Find or create a point of difference in an oversaturated market
3. Use social media to build awareness and confidence surrounding the label
Gabrielle Brown is a graduate of the RMIT Bachelor of Design, Fashion Degree (2013)
"Create a point of difference in an oversaturated market" - Gabrielle Brown